Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"Scam Artists, Creepers and Lovers, Oh My"


I have conquered two days in Italy. I wasn’t sure I was going to survive my first trips to or in Milano, but somehow I managed. The following recounts my misadventures on Sunday and Monday. Fortunately I can laugh about all of it. Except for the man with red teeth. That will never be funny. But I’ll get to that.

Turate. A cute little town North of Milan. 

I arrived in Milan bright and early (6 am) Sunday morning after taking a train from Paris. The train was an interesting experience, not ideal but it was better than flying (and so much cheaper.) Getting to the station was the worst part. I have two suitcases, one is carry-on sized and the other is massive. I believe I mentioned in my other post that the wheel broke on it. And this time I didn’t have someone else to pawn my luggage on. I thought I was prepared. I am physically capable of moving and lifting the suitcase even though it’s difficult.
I was only a few steps out when someone didn’t get out of my way (sorry, I can only move this giant suitcase on a tiny sidewalk so far), and I ran over her toes. I wasn’t prepared for was how sore my forearms would be from rock climbing the day before. It was hard to grip my suitcase, let alone move it anywhere. What was already going to be a difficult task was turning impossible.

Toes run over: 2

            I stood at the top of the menacing stairs down to the subway and some nice guy offered to carry my heavy bag down the steps. I let him do so because I knew it would be almost physically impossible for him to run off with it. After getting through the turnstyle, I set off down two more flights of stairs. Then, I had to switch stations which meant I had to walk down even more stairs. And the only thing I could think was that I might never get back up all these steps. This just isn’t going to happen. But I got on the next train and prayed for the best.

Toes run over: 4

On the  next subway one boy looked geniunely frightened of how big my bag was. It could have been because he was standing next to it and was afraid it would topple and  crush him any moment.  It was heavier than him. I got off at the train station and almost cried. Escalators. The greatest gift straight from Jesus himself. (That’s probably blastphemous, so if it’s not the very best, it’s definitely up there.) If I wasn’t already so tired I might have done a celebratory dance.

I managed to get on the train and the guys I shared a compartment with were pros at packing luggage into the room. I settled into my bed and ate my yogurt. (I had asked for an apple at the store and even repeatedly said “pomme” but they still gave me pinapple yogurt.) I was exhausted from lugging that bag around for about 2 hours and fell straight asleep.

Final toe count: +6

The train was nicer than an airplane because I actually could lay down and fall asleep, but it was at least 85 degrees and we couldn’t get the heater to turn off. I also kept waking myself up because I wasn’t sure if anyone would wake me up in Milan or not. Not to mention the fact that I was concerned the security guard took my passport on the train. He took everyone’s and they didn’t seem too worried. So I figured I would get it back.  (I did, but he didn’t stamp it :( )

I met the father of the family I am living with at the station, and he took me home to Turate and showed me the house. This house rocks. I was going to consider myself lucky if I had a room to myself with a dresser. I most certainly do.

I also have a living room, kitchen and bathroom all to myself. It is awesome.

The family I live with is very very nice. From what they’ve said, they are a typically middle-class, northern Italian family. And they all speak English to some degree. The dad and the son, who is 19, are fluent. The mom and the daughter, who is 16, speak and understand the basics. They spend their days at work or at school, so I have the days to entertain myself.

Palazzo
Monday, I ventured into Milan, and it was a wholly an interesting, weird experience. Turate is a small town. There is a train station here, but my family told me taking the one in Saronno was better and that one leaves every 30 minutes. So in the morning, I was dropped off at the train station and they told me once my SIM card started working in my cell phone, I could call Nico for a ride home, as long as it was after school. I had all their numbers written down on a post-it note.

I went into the station, bought a ticket for Milan and back. Just as I bought my ticket, I saw a train pull up. I didn’t know where this train was going, but I knew another wasn’t coming for 30 minutes. I made the split second choice to get on and figure the rest out later. So I got on and found that the map was only a local one of Milan, and not at all helpful. At this point I figured I’d just see where I ended up. We made three stops that didn’t look very Milan-y. So I kept riding. We got to a fourth and everyone was getting out, so I did too.

They were doing a lot of construction on
the Palazzo. A lot of it need a facelift.
But it added to the character!
I started walking around the square outside the train station, looking for a place that sold maps or really gave any indication that I was in fact in Milan. I assumed I was, because it was a big city. But I wasn’t 100% sure. It took me a surprisingly long time to find a map, ( I was in Milan) but I did and found my first planned stop, Plazzo Sforzesco. After exploring there, I had been told to walk down Via Dante and make my way toward the Duomo and then the Galleria for some (window) shopping.

I managed to navigate without too much difficulty, but I did notice that scam artists and creepy people were a lot pushier to me now than they were in Paris. I don’t know if it’s because I’m alone now or if they act that way toward everyone, but I had to tell the guys at the Palazzo that “I DO NOT want your bracelet  I know it’s not free. Seriously GO AWAY.” Eventually I got away from them.

After the Galleria, I sat down to decide where I should go next, but some man thought I was lost. I wasn’t. But he was pointing out things on the map that I should see. It didn’t really bother me until he started holding my hand. He asked how old I was, and I said I’m 21. He told me he was 59 and said “Oh… I am too old for you. Unless... you think I’m not?” I told him he most definitely way was too old for me. Then he said he loved me and we could get married. I declined as politely as I could and walked away very quickly. I really can’t emphasize enough the near dead sprint I was in.
Duomo del Milano. They were doing construction on the top so didn't get one straight on.


The Galleria
Shopping Malls in America aren't this fancy.

Oh you didn't know Mercedes Benz also made clothing and luggage?
Peasant.
After that, I’d had enough of the city, and I decided to head back. I knew it might be a little early for anyone to be able to get me but I knew I would feel better going home. That’s when my cell phone, with 50% battery, decided it was actually dead and refused to turn on. Panic.

But there’s nothing I can do about it and I figured I deal with getting to Sarrono then worry about getting home. I got on the train and after many more stops than there were in the morning, I made it to Saronno and hopped off. I took one look around and realized this was not right. I then see the sign actually says:


Saronno

Sud

Sud. That dang tiny word meant I was at the south station, not the main one. (Okay, it might not have been that small, but still.) I ponder my choices, wait 30 min for the next train to come or walk to the other station I can vaguely see down the tracks (no, I’m not about to tell you I walked on train tracks, don’t worry mom.) I decide I need to find a bathroom anyway and that, since I know the tracks move in a straight line, I could find the next station. So I began my epic odyssey through this foreign city where almost no one speaks English without a functional cell phone to figure out how to get to the station. And the best part is  I still don’t have a way home from the station.

I do eventually get there after about 30 minutes of walking (Saronno is a very cute town.) I felt very empowered because I’d never actually had to do anything like that alone before.

So I started looking for people who would let me use their cell phone. I asked the legit looking people, but none of them spoke enough English to understand what I was asking. As per my luck, the creepiest guy so far (his teeth were circles with red fillings (??) in the middle. I’m dead serious. It was terrifying) offered to let me use his phone. But no one answered. Mr. Creepster then asked, “What’s your name” Me: “Kathleen” (I either tell who people I don’t want to know my name I’m Kathleen or Shelby. Don’t ask, I just like the name. My name is entirely too easy to trace.)
Creepy: “So you have a phone number?” (Me *in my head: “Obviously not, otherwise I wouldn’t have to use yours.  DUH*) Me: No. Creepy: So how am I going to call you? Me: You’re not. Creepy: Where are you going? Me: Turate. Creepy: I’ll give you a ride there. Me: Absolutely not.

At this point, I’m getting pretty good at spriting away from creepy people.

After maybe 20 minutes of wandering and asking random shop vendors, I found a nice guy who let me use his phone and made it home. All told, my adventure home took at least 2 hours.

Anyways, that’s been my life. I’m heading into Milan again tomorrow and Monday I am going to check out a climbing gym in Milan. If you stuck with this long post, thank you. One day I will channel my inner Hemmingway, but it might take me a while. Ciao!  

No comments:

Post a Comment